Please read the guidelines and add your information in the form at the end.
- If you are not sure if a post contains accepted content, get approval from moderators before sending it.
Please send your proposed email to: [email protected]
- Follow common rules of Netiquette. (See below suggestions for proper etiquette when communicating on this email list.)
- Please keep your message considerate and concise.
- Respect others, their time and resources, by posting only relevant content.
- This list is meant to be neutral and inclusive. As such please respect that divisive topics are not allowed
- Consider and be aware of some usage limits.
- Please consider everyone’s privacy, details how we consider this topic in our privacy-policy.
Here are some examples of what is considered respectful for this list.
- Treat others the way you expect to be treated. Use kindness when addressing someone, whether they are part of this list or not.
- If you are having an emotional reaction to a post and are eager to post immediately, please take some time and reflect upon your words. This is not a place for venting, shaming, assuming the worst of others, making accusations, attacking, or getting others on board with what you are upset about when in the heat of anger.
- Gossip or slander is not tolerated. We want to make this a pleasant experience for all.
- Be mindful when forwarding private email to the list. You should receive consent from author to broadcast to a wide audience.
- Discussions of controversial topics frequently spark debates, create high volume of emails and are not welcome. Because a topic is important to you doesn’t mean the entire list (of hundreds) is necessarily affected by or is interested in that cause. (A “Cause” or deep feelings/reactions to people or situations or issues is not a valid reason to email the entire list if your topic does not pertain to them, individually or as a community. If you are unsure if a topic is relevant to the list, please check in with [email protected]) We can point you in the direction of forming a list/group/forum for your topic of interest.
- Advertising or commercial postings.Local business owned/operated by email list members may announce 2 times a year. Please contact [email protected] if clarification is needed.
- Occasional private sale offerings or requests are welcome. (Garage sales, giveaways, needs, etc.) Try to limit this to 2-3 times a week. If you are super active on the list consider consolidating your needs or information into fewer emails.
- Recommendations and reviews of a local business is welcome as long as it is not done for compensation or a favor. For example a restaurant, store review to get freebies is not allowed.
- Politics, religion, beliefs are restricted. (Politics: an example of a sanctioned post would be a forum or debate with several candidates represented. Religion: If a religious organization is offering charitable services, such as St. Athanasius providing groceries to the food insecure or a play or concert is OK, but advertising your church service or religious activities is not permitted. Beliefs: There are discussion groups that can be formed for sharing thoughts and opinions and feelings about events/issues/etc., but this email list is not that place.) if you are unsure, contact the moderators
- Campaigning, recruiting for your cause and, soliciting for contributions of any sort without prior permission from moderators is not allowed
- Announcements for political, religious events may be posted if permission is granted by moderators. Only non-partisan and inclusive events please. Obtain permission from [email protected]
- An example for allowed event promotion is the donation drive for Second Harvest at the yearly Monta Loma Progressive Dinner.
- Sharing and review of health care services that operate legally is ok. Medical advice is not allowed. If not sure, ask for permission first.
- No offerings or request for illegal goods or services. For example the sale of home cooked food requires special permit in CA. (Free food is not affected). Many professional services require a business license, or building permits. Please check with the city if unsure.
- If you have technical, operational or support questions about the workings of the list, read How To first. For topics not covered here contact moderators directly at [email protected]. No need to send to everyone on the list.
How to sign up
Please fill out the form below if you are a Monta Loma resident or property owner and would like to join this list. You will receive a confirmation email with instructions for use when your email address is added.